Dental Extractions/Wisdom Teeth Extraction
Tooth extraction is performed for positional, structural, or economic reasons
There are a number of reasons why we may extract teeth:
- Extraction of a tooth to make more room in the mouth prior to straightening the remaining teeth (orthodontic treatment).
- Extracting a tooth because they are so badly positioned that straightening is impossible.
- Extraction may be used to remove teeth that are so badly decayed or broken that they cannot be restored.
- In addition, patients sometimes choose extraction as a less expensive alternative to filling or placing a crown on a severely decayed tooth.
- Teeth are often removed because they are impacted. Teeth become impacted when they are prevented from growing into their normal position in the mouth by gum tissue, bone, or other teeth. Impaction is a common reason for the extraction of wisdom teeth. Extraction is the only known method that will prevent further problems.
Often fully erupted wisdom teeth can be removed simply and easily. However, for impacted wisdom teeth, a surgical approach may be required. With a surgical approach, it is necessary for the gum around the tooth to be incised and lifted to simplify removal of the tooth. The gum is then replaced and sutured back into position.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Wisdom teeth are the very last teeth to emerge, usually at around 15 to 20 years of age, however this can vary between individuals.
Sometimes as the wisdom teeth emerge a small infection can occur in the gum immediately surrounding the tooth. This infection is called ‘pericoronitis’ and is a result of plaque and bacteria becoming trapped between the tooth and the surrounding gum.
If the wisdom teeth do not have enough room to erupt, or if the infection is a constant occurrence, removal of the problem teeth may be the best solution. The method used for extraction varies for each tooth and person. Some teeth can be simply removed under local anaesthesia like any other extraction. Impacted or trapped teeth will often require a minor surgical procedure to lift the tooth out of the surrounding bone and gum.
Speak to your Smile Perfection dentist at your next scheduled appointment to discuss the options available for wisdom tooth extraction.